Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

Book Review: The Ballad of the Sad Cafe and Other Stories by Carson McCullers

Writing Style-6.8
Originality-5.8
Plot-5.0
Merit(whatever that means)-5.8
Overall-5.6

This was disappointing. As big a fan as I am of Southern Gothic. I expected and hoped for more.

I had read Clock Without Hands by her before and thought it was pretty good. Pretty simple, but solid.

I liked the Ballad of the Sad Café pretty well. It had a nice feel to it. Not quite sure what it was supposed to say, but that’s okay sometimes.

The other stories were completely useless. Totally uninspired and uninteresting. I got absolutely nothing from any of them.

In my opinion, you shouldn’t move on to Carson McCullers or Eudora Welty until you’ve read every word that Flannery O’Connor ever wrote. But that’s just me. And, of course, I still need to read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter to give Carson one more chance. So, take this advice with a grain of salt.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?