Wednesday, June 08, 2005

 

Re: The acronyms in the brackets after each selection

After every book and comment I've got in brackets that books placement on other lists that I've found on the internet and liked. There are also awards that the books have received. here's the legend:

ML = Modern Library's list
MLR = Modern Library's Reader's list (where did they find these people? what's up with the Ayn Rand and L Ron Hubbard and Charles De Lint? the Reader's nonfiction list is even scarier.)
MLNF = Modern Library's Non Fiction list (this applies to Let us Now Praise Famous Men and Black Boy?)
LM = Larry McCaffery's list (this is a pretty cool list, a little to much postmodernism for my taste, but at least its bold)
R = Radcliffe publishing course (I really like this list, I think its well thought out and well rounded my only critiques are a) what's up with all the children's shit? b) its almost too well thought out to the point that it's kinda chickenshit, for instance, the highest book on the modern library list I had never heard of was #8 Darkness at Noon, which I decided to read and was phenomenal, the highest book on Larry McCaffery's list I'd never heard of was #4 the Public Burning which I'm about to finish and its great, the highest book on radcliffe I'd not heard of was #71 Rebecca)
HBTWC - Harold Bloom's The Western Canon (Amy says this guy was kinda controversial in grad school, but he loves Cormac McCarthy so I'm down with him)
HBS - Harvard Book Stores top 100 books (includes all books in general, Zinn's People's History is #1 so you know right off its a good list)
SFBK - Sci-Fi Book Club (I've got a bit of scifi on there so I'm including some scifi lists and awards)
PESF - Phobos Entertainments top 100 Sci-Fi
NBA - national Book Award
NBCC - National Book Critics Circle award
P/F - Pen/Faulkner
PP - Pulitzer
HA - Hugo Award (scifi)
NA - Nebula Award (also scifi)
WFA - World Fantasy Award

I'll try to get links to these lists up here soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?