Monday, October 17, 2005

 

Book News: New Top 100 List (Time Magazine)

Time magazine has just published a top 100 english-language novels since 1923. I'm still digesting it but, I think I've read 40 of them (41 if you include Gravity's Rainbow which I tried my damnedest to finish but was defeated).

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

I like that they include Blood Meridian. They chose Blind Assassin over Handmaid's Tale which makes no sense whatsoever. They include some rather recent ones which is nice like Atonement, The Corrections, White Teeth (which I just read and owe a review; I'm falling way behind in my reviews). Props to sci-fi with Neuromancer and pkdick (though Ubik is a VERY strange choice for best pkdick novel, maybe it's the only one that the creators of this list both read or something). FINALLY, A Death in the Family gets some cred. And the Sportswriter! I was beginning to think that it was only me that thought that book was brilliant.

Overall, I really like this list. I still want to see A Confederacy of Dunces and Bret Easton Ellis get some respect and then I'll be happy.

Comments:
1923 is the first year Time was published. I just read that as I was taking a second look at the list.

That's a good guess though. I think copyrights last 70 years after the death of the artist, or something like that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?